History
The Lauder Curling Club was originally formed in 1850 and accepted to the Royal Caledonian Curling Club in 1852. They curled at a curling pond in the ‘outskirts of Lauder’, now just off the road between the Gala junction, at the bottom of Mill Wynd, and the cemetery. The map below is from 1906. Click on the map to see a bigger version.
Lauder Curling Club won the Border Province Challenge Trophy in 1903. It is a trophy which is still played for today. In fact, Lauderdale Curling Club won the trophy again in 2003, exactly 100 years later, and in 2019. Note the 4 curling stones built into the wall of the clubhouse, and you can see the site of the clubhouse in the map above.
It is not known what happened to the Lauder Club in the first half of the 20th century, but we know that Lauder and Heriot Curling Clubs got together in 1950 to form the Lauderdale Curling Club which we know today. Readmission to the RCCC was not necessary so the current club can claim to be formed in 1850. In fact, a dinner was held in 2002 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of acceptance to the RCCC.
